Viewing Documents and Document Details
Viewing a Document
When you click a document title in a result, the document is displayed.
If you retrieve a document by searching or using a KeySearch query, the search terms are highlighted in yellow. If you retrieve a document using KeyCite, the references to the cited WestlawNext document are highlighted. The first occurrence of the term is automatically displayed.
- Document arrows take you to the next or previous document in your result.
- Term arrows take you to the next or previous term in your result. (In a KeySearch result, Term arrows function only for documents retrieved via the KeySearch query.)
Citation Links and KeyCite Status Flags
- Each citation in the document is a hypertext link to the cited document. To access the cited document on WestlawNext, click the link.
- For each citation that has available KeyCite information, a KeyCite status flag is displayed before the citation. To access additional KeyCite information for the citation on WestlawNext, click the flag.
- For each citation that is referenced in other indexed documents at your organization, a KM icon () is displayed after the citation. To view the citing documents, click the icon.
For more information about KeyCite status flags, see KeyCite Status Flags.
- To view details about a litigation document, click the Summary tab. (Transactions documents have additional tabs available.) For details, see Viewing Details for a Litigation Document or Viewing Details for a Transactions Document.
- To open a copy of the document in its original format (e.g., Microsoft Word), click the Load Copy icon.
- To print or email the document, click the Print or Email icon and then click an option. For details, see Printing and Emailing.
- An Exemplar icon ( or ) next to the title indicates that the document has been flagged as a model example by a colleague with annotator rights.
- To view notes about a document that were added by a colleague with annotator rights, click the Notes bar at the top of the document.
Viewing Details for a Litigation Document
When you click the Summary tab from a document in West km, details about the document are displayed.
Displays data about the document that was generated by West km during analysis of the document, such as the document title, jurisdiction, court, and document type. To view additional information for attorneys, companies, experts, law firms, or judges, click the name.
Note: Accessing Westlaw Profiler is a billable transaction if you don't have a subscription.
Displays metadata about the document that was gathered from your organization's document management system, such as file name, author, created and modified date, and client and matter information.
Displays the topics to which the document is assigned. To access the KeySearch hierarchy for a topic, click the topic link.
Viewing Details for a Transactions Document
When viewing a document, clause, or defined term, additional details may be available for viewing, including a summary, outline, defined terms listing, and referenced document listing. Click the corresponding tab to display the additional detail.
Note: If multiple instances of the same metadata, defined term, or referenced document are found, the item is listed only once. The number of instances is indicated in parentheses after the item. To jump to the first instance in the text of the document or clause, click the item. Then use Term arrows to navigate to other instances.
The summary may include the following sections:
- Document Profile: Displays data that was generated by West km during analysis, such as the title, parties, law firm, and governing law. Click a link in the profile to jump to the reference.
- File Profile: Displays metadata that was gathered from your organization's document management system, such as file name, author, created and modified date, and client and matter information.
Displays an outline of the document, clause, or defined term. Click a link in the outline to jump to that section.
Click a term to jump to its definition in the text of the document or clause.
Shows a list of all documents explicitly referenced in the document you are viewing. Click a document title to go to its reference in the document you are viewing.